Monday, July 18, 2011

Leaving on a jet plane...

It's time to pack the bags one more time. Each time I vow to take less "stuff" but there's always something that just has to go - or at least I think it does. This time it's less granola bars and more training materials, not a bad swap.

One week from today I get on a plane with Todd Green and Ed Hyslip, two volunteers who will help me teach automotive mechanics in Mozambique at the ASAM mission base. I'm told that at least 7 students are waiting to start the training, and I'm sure that number will continue to grow as word gets out. Finding skills training is just not easy in the African bush, but it can make such a difference in a life.

I've mentioned the maintenance shop project before, and the photos below show the progress to date:

Freshly dug foundations in March, 2011

New cement and steelwork - July 2011 (Photo: Dwight Lagore)
Peter, the head mason on the ASAM farm (Photo: Dwight Lagore)

This important building will not only become the base for our trade school, but also the maintenance shop for all the vehicles and equipment on the ASAM farm. To date we have raised around $4000, or 15% of the $30,000 project. To start putting up the walls, we need more.
Artist's conception of the finished maintenance shop
Please contact us if you would like to be a part of this important project. I'd love to be able to "order up the bricks" while I'm out there next month!

And please pray for us as a team as we spend the next 5 weeks in Africa. 
Todd Green

Ed Hyslip

Rick Cogbill
Serving together as Mercy Tech Mission - Skills with a purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment