Sunday, March 7, 2010

Heading into the home stretch...

It's Sunday evening, and it hits me that Laura and I are about to start our final week here in Mozambique. For my part, although I've been able to make good progress on a number of vehicles already, there is still a lot of work to do - all those parts Dwight and Lynn brought back from South Africa still have to go somewhere!

Over the weekend I took advantage of having no staff around to putter on a few projects that seem to work better when there are no interruptions - things like rebuilding a carburetor.

I also fixed their washing machine, but I have an ulterior motive - I need to do my laundry.

But it wasn't all work and no play. On Sunday morning, after listening to one of Pastor Larry's sermons from the Summerland Baptist Church website, the girls and I made plans to walk through the community in the afternoon. Of course, it involved riding motorcycles first to get there...


But once we arrived at the village, it was off on foot down the paths through the grass.


Here is a typical house for this area...
And one not so typical.

We had the opportunity to stop and visit with one of the local pastors and his wife, who is one of the midwives that Keren works with.


Of course, when the camera comes out, so do the local kids...


But walking in the African sun is hot work, so we headed over to the local shops for a Coke.

Yes, they still serve it in a bottle here, just like when I was a kid.

Back at the motorcycles, we found a crowd of women and chilren sharing gossip around the local water pump. The woman standing between Keren and Laura is Eunice, the key leader for the women's ministry started here by the mission.

So that was how we spent our weekend.

Do have a good day.

1 comment:

  1. What a great look at your weekend! Love, Nan

    ReplyDelete